CHEERS TRAINS COMMUNITY AND HEALTH FACILITY VOULUNTEERS ON PMTCT
In order to tackle the challenges hampering on the achievement of the elimination of Mother-to-Child Transmission of HIV in Nigeria by 2015 and beyond, the need arose to increase synergy among stakeholders and scale up interventions focused on PMTCT in Nigeria.
This informed CHEERS engagement in a training project within the two mapped out communities of work; Bwari Area Council, FCT and Lafia LGA, Nassarawa State.
Topics/Training Modules covered:
* Introduction to HIV/AIDS
* Overview of HIV Prevention in Mothers, Infants, and Young Children
* Specific Interventions to Prevent MTCT of HIV
* HIV Testing and Counselling for PMTCT
* Infant Feeding in the Context of HIV Infection
* Linkages to Clinical and Social Care and Support for Mothers and Families with HIV Infection
* Stigma and Discrimination Related to MTCT of HIV
* Safety and Supportive Care in the Work Environment
* PMTCT Program Monitoring.
* HIV/AIDS and Commonly Related Conditions
* HIV Prevention, Care, and Support
* HIV Testing
* Approaches of HCT
* Introduction to Counselling
* Counselling Using the HCT Protocol
* Counselling in Other HCT Approaches
* The mapping procedures was taught and carried out on the final day of the training.
* The overall result of this training is expected to ultimately contribute to the Prevention of Mother to Child Transmission of HIV in these communities and Nigeria as a whole.